Monday, September 29, 2014

Out of this Sprayer

I was first introduced to spray paint art about 18 years ago when I was on a college trip to Oaxaca Mexico.  Yeah, that dates me a little.  But I remember that we would sit and watch those guys paint outerspace scenes for hours.  We were fascinated by the colors and the techniques that they used.  I also loved the control that they had over cans of spray paint. They just made it look so easy.

Well anyways, 18 years later I don't know what sparked my memory and made me want to try the project, but this spring we decided to give the spray paint project a try.  I had each student bring a can of spray paint and we started watching videos on how to make the planets and worlds.  The only thing we had major problems with was the weather and the fact that school was ending quickly for the year.  So I decided to try it again this year, but this time in the fall.

I have since learned that that was a smarter decision.  It is amazing how less windy it is in South Dakota in the fall and since we didn't have to race the end of the school year, we also had more days to choose from.
 We have gotten really good at the basics or planets and simple mountain scapes.  We would like to try harder to get in some more techniques that deal with cities, trees or water scenes, but we are now running into fall weather and it is cooling off really fast.

So in case we don't have time for more, here is what we created so far.

Alli H.

Ashley G.

Sydney Hag.

Sydney Haus.

Madison S.

Sammy K.

No comments:

Post a Comment