Monday, January 26, 2015

A cartoon skeleton?

Have you ever wondered what cartoon skeletons would look like?  I never had until I saw this lesson from Art at the Apex a couple of years ago.  It has now become one of my favorite lessons mostly because it covers so many mediums/genres/subjects in one lesson.

In one lesson you talk about gesture drawing, skeletal structure, colored pencil shading to make a cartoon character look 3D, pencil shading on bones, creativity, and imagination.  It takes thought and creativity to come up where bones will be on some of these cartoon character.  I mean it is hard to think what type of bone structure Olaf the snowman would actually have.  And yes, he has to have a skeleton.

 I always get that one kid that picks Casper the ghost and says he wouldn't have one, so they don't have to draw one.  My answer is always that they have to have a skeleton to be used for this assignment.  I do step back a little and say that they have to have a skull and a rib cage, but not necessarily limbs.  Some of those pokemon character are just a ball and so when I give that criteria and they think they are smart picking this round object they are usually the ones that struggle the most because it is hard to get a skull and a rib cage inside of a ball.

Here are a few of my favorites from this year's class.


Jaikob D.

Drea B.

Remington L.

Jacob K.




No comments:

Post a Comment