Tuesday, November 4, 2014

To boss on embossing or not?

Have you ever tried a project that didn't work exactly like you thought it should?  If you have tried to teach anyone anything, then you should know things don't always work out.

It's been a few years since I have had a student teacher, and don't get me wrong I always love the experience, but I am struggling this time being quiet during class.  In the past, I had both elementary and high school and I have the full twelve weeks with a student teacher.  They had time to watch me and get comfortable with my class, but this time I had to share her since I only teach high school.  So I feel like I am having to push her harder to get her into my classes.  This also means that she really didn't have time to watch me teach and see my style.

I understand that she has to come in with her own style and that it takes time to develop that, and trust me I have been asking myself a lot lately what I was like as a student teacher, but for some reason it is really hard for me to sit back and watch this time.  I feel like she is missing key points with her lectures, and some of the enthusiasm that I feel I bring to a presentation.  I am wondering, how do you teach enthusiasm or does that come as you get more comfortable with the job?

The main reason I am writing instead of showing something, is that while I liked the first project she presented, I am not thrilled with how they came out.  I feel like she didn't give enough explanation or practice to get the students engaged.  The project was taking metal tooling and to create designs on it and then turn it into a small box with a bottom and a lid.  In theory they are really cute,  ours needed some help.

If anyone has suggestions as to how to teach enthusiasm, I would love to hear them.


No comments:

Post a Comment