Monday, August 31, 2015

Painting with light

I also started last year with this photography project, but I think it is a really fun one that the students instantly love.  It is called light painting, but it is basically working with the shutter speed on a DSLR camera.  

I love bringing out these cameras at the beginning of the year because most of them are going to take my photography projects with their cell phones and I love all of the tips and tricks that they will pull out and learn from using  nice camera.  Now not to say that they can't take good pictures with their cell phones, but you can't take an image like light painting on an iphone.

To do this we really slow down the exposure on the camera by putting our Canon cameras into TV mode, with the ISO on 200, and the shutter speed anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds.

Here are some of my favorites from the student's experiments.

Brandon G.

Connor K.

Heidi S.

Jena F.

Kayla E.
I think they did a pretty good job considering we had to do this in practically a coat closet of a room.

No comments:

Post a Comment