Monday, October 29, 2012

Plaster me Sculpture

To try to teach Art 1 about how to create a sculpture like the greeks did out of stone we take pop cans and fill them with plaster of paris and then carve them into small statues.

This year I had issues with the plaster not setting up as well as it has done in the past.  I don't know if I got a bad batch or didn't mix in enough plaster, but we ended up remaking several of the plaster cans.  So for about a week my counters become white with plaster dust and I have learned there is no point in cleaning it up until we are done.

After they remove the can and find their chunck of plaster they then need to figure out what to do with it.  I have tried several ways to get great projects out of kids, sometimes I have them draw, sometimes we look at little figurines, but depending on the learner and their mind set is the final determination as to how their project will turn out.

I always tell them to carve them slowly because once it has been carved out you can't put it back.  I also tell them to make plan b since plan a might not work out.  I also have to tell some of them to stop carving at some point so that it doesn't break off pieces that you want to keep.

Jon C.  "Zombie"

Sydney Hau.  "Snail"

Kiana K. "Abstract"

Christian H.  "Ghost"

Matti C.  "Skull"

1 comment:

  1. I liked this project because i got to do my favorite character cheese, and i know matti had fun with this also

    ReplyDelete