Friday, January 29, 2016

Can you "resist" the pull of watercolor

Okay, so I have done a watercolor resist for my own personal artwork, but I have never done it with a class before.  I don't know why, probably because I thought I would go through a lot of masking frisket.  And just so you know, I was right.  Now granted, the kids loved the project, but I went through both jars of masking frisket, they were both about half gone, and we used about 2 jars of rubber cement.  SO that is a lot of materials to use for one project.  Or at least I think so.  Maybe you don't think that is bad.

The students loved this project for a couple of reasons.  First, we used photoshop to manipulate the image.  I let them take a photo of anyone.  We then used Photoshop to adjust the brightness/contrast and then used the threshold or the exposure buttons to turn the image into a positive/negative.

The other reason that they loved this project, is that I then let them trace their positive/negative image.  They loved the feeling that they were cheating.  Of course that is now backfiring on me, because they think they should be able to trace all of their projects.  I don't think so!!!

After they traced it, they applied either rubber cement or masking frisket to the white areas.  After that dried they were allowed to paint with any colors they wanted except black.

Lane H.

Kevin C.

Sommer B.

Logan G.





1 comment:

  1. I love that in these watercolor paintings most of the painting is well paint, but you can still make out what and who the person is. These are very good!!

    ReplyDelete