Monday, January 25, 2016

What's inside a monster?

Do you ever just have a favorite project?  Well this is one of the school's favorite projects.  Everyone looks forward to my cartoon skeleton projects.  I borrowed this project from Art of the Apex a few years ago, but it has become a school wide attraction.

I think everyone loves the simplicity of this assignment.  It is taking a cartoon character, something that everyone can relate too, and then giving it an xray of its insides.

This year I required that they color their cartoon characters so that they looked more 3D and a little less flat.  I really think that helped and gave some dimension to the drawings.

We started by looking at a skeleton and drawing several pieces of it.  We also drew some of our fellow classmates in different poses so that we got an understand for gestures and gesture drawing.  From there I do a quick 5 minute activity where I have all of the tables see who can come up with the most cartoon characters.  I like this little competition because it also opens up their ideas to other characters so I get more than just spongebob.  From there I tell them that they will be drawing a cartoon character on one paper and the skeleton on the other.

Here are some of my best examples.  I'm sorry that they are blurry, I don't know what happened.

Mercedes F.

Madison S.

Riley R.


Sommer B.




No comments:

Post a Comment