Friday, February 17, 2012

DOTS!!

A few years ago I had a student who wanted to do a project entirely out of paper punched dots.  At first I thought she was crazy, but I said go for it.  Needles to say she started with a huge piece of paper and never finished the project, but she did give me the idea for this art 1 project.  So in someways I have to tell her thank you.  Now if I could only remember her name...

Anyways,  for art Art 1 we study the pointillism work of Georges Seurat and I was always amazed that the man painted huge paintings with dots the size of a pencil eraser.  But I needed a project to get that point across to my students.  So I took the idea of that former student and I shrunk it down.  Instead of a 12 x 18 piece of paper (yes that is what size she thought she could cover with dots and not lose her sanity) I made the project into a 4x6 piece of paper.  So about the size of a postcard.  Then I talk about how to do color blending with your eyes and how to mix the colors of construction paper to create a picture that looks like it has been layered. 

The overall project takes about a good week to week and a half.  Not because it is necessarily a difficult project, but it is a time consuming project to punch and glue all of those dots.  I have learned over the years to either bring earplugs or just tune out the constant whinning that prevails over the classroom.  Also a few reminders that I could have been this worse by asking for a bigger project helps with the attitude issues.  In the end when they come out really nice both of us forget the complaining.

Joslynne

Chantel

Logan Z

Rachael

Emma
So this year they found my modge podge,  I haven't decided yet if I like that or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment